Friday, July 11, 2014

Opus Math...Favorite Find!!!

I have a new love and his name is Opus...Opus Math.  The best thing about Opus is that he is loaded...loaded with math problems aligned for the Common Core along with handy, dandy answer keys! What more could a girl wish for???

Let me tell you how we met...this year, I have had some trepidation as I was tasked with creating new content aligned to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS).  As anyone who wants to make sure that they are not leading a class full of students down the wrong path, I searched and researched to verify that what I was teaching was what the authors of the CCSS intended.   My first find was LearnZillion (bless those precious creators for producing quality content to help boost my confidence as I transitioned to the new standards) and then I stumbled upon Saginaw Valley's pacing guides linked to online resources aligned with the Common Core.  Both were fantastic resources for me to ensure that I was explaining the content in the same manner that someone else did, but I wanted to find yet another place to verify that I was assessing student understanding according to the standards.  After much searching, I found Opus Math!
Logo from Opus Math
Opus Math is a beautiful resource.  You can search for assessment items directly if you know the standards that you want to assess...
or you can search from the whole list of standards to find what you need.  If you choose to search standard by standard, you will see a full description pop-up as you scroll across each one.
After you select the standard you want to assess, you can browse through the questions and choose to include "all" or only specific items.
To create your assessment, scroll down to the bottom of the page to "Make Assignment".  You will be prompted to sign in or make an account (if you didn't already) - don't worry, it's free!
Build your assignment to meet your needs: add a title, class period, teacher's name, etc.
Then, your assignment will download to your computer and you can open it using Microsoft Word or in your Google Drive.  You can continue to edit the assessment items or add more questions to the document if needed.
As if that weren't fabulous enough (I know, it sounds like I am selling it, but I am really just this excited), you can download the KeY!!!!!
I know!!!  Can you see why Opus Math is my new favorite find???!!!??  My mind is racing...I could download one question a day on a half sheet of paper for a bellringer, take a screen shot and throw it on my whiteboard for an exit ticket, or have all of my assessments created before school starts.
Opus Math = Love!!!

2 comments:

Algebra's Friend said...

Cindy, I love this tool ... can't wait to try it out! Thanks for sharing! (Algebra's Friend)

Cindy said...

Thank you Beth! I hope you find it as useful as I do.