Now, I start every new year by having students create name tents. It helps me learn my high school students' names quickly and easily by keeping their names in front of me at all times. The only supplies I supply is a pack of markers. The students provide the paper.
Here is how to make them:
1. Have students get a sheet of paper from their notebook.
I demonstrate the folds using 2 sheets of paper (one colored, one white) layered on top of one another. This helps the students see how far down to make the fold.
3. Make a second fold about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the sheet. This creates a triangle of sorts when you try to stand it on the table.
and a triangle when you look at it from the side.
4. Have each student use a marker to write their first name in the center section of the paper.
5. Have students stand their name tent on their desk.
6. At the end of the class period, direct students to place their name tent inside their notebook for use over the next few days.
Now, no more awkward moments. Use the name tents until you and the students learn everyone's name.